Five steps to achieving help with your divorce and finances at the first appointment with your solicitor:-
- Decide on your priorities for discussion before the appointment. What is important now as compared to what can wait. Make a list so you don’t forget and take it with you, don’t leave it by your front door or in the car.
- Prepare a money list on the relevant issues. Income and expenditure, pensions, savings, shares or anything else and mark clearly as to who owns what and where it is joint. Do the same for liabilities.
- Be prepared to be asked to discuss the nature of the relationship breakdown. In confidence of course.
- Be prepared by brainstorming your possible long term options. Sometimes these are clear early on and other times not until later but being open to ideas can help reach settlement.
- Keep calm. Solicitors know the legal process so you can be confident in handing over your problems.