Solicitors for You

Solicitors for Businesses

Browse PHR Solicitors

Our experienced intestacy solicitors can offer legal advice and support relating to what happens when a person dies without a will, giving you clarity on how your estate will be shared. 

Intestacy Solicitors

If you die without leaving a valid will, your assets may not be distributed in the way you wish following your death. Speak to our intestacy solicitors today to learn more.

Intestacy rules do not make any provisions for unmarried partners or non-family members to receive a share of your inheritance, which may not be in line with your wishes. If you have concerns about dying intestate, our experienced intestacy solicitors can offer advice and support relating to the intestacy rules, giving you clarity on how your estate will be shared. 

We are based in Birkenhead, and have served the Wirral, Merseyside and beyond for more than 100 years.

Contact our specialist intestacy solicitors today to discuss your circumstances by calling 0151 666 9090, or by filling out an online enquiry form.

How can our intestacy solicitors help you?

Intestacy laws can be extremely complicated, which is why it is important to get the right legal information and support. Our intestacy solicitors will offer simple, easy-to-understand advice on intestacy rules and what they could mean for your specific circumstances. We will also help in the event that you should decide now is the right time for you to write a will.

Why PHR Solicitors?

At Percy Hughes & Roberts, we work tirelessly to deliver the highest standard of support at all times throughout your legal case. This is reflected in the national quality accreditations held by our specialist team: 

  • Lexcel, the Law Society's quality standard

We have been providing quality, concise legal advice for more than a century, and we are dedicated to helping members of the community we serve.

What are the intestacy rules affecting my estate?

If you are married or in a civil partnership, and your spouse or civil partner has survived you for 28 days, and you have children they will receive: 

  • Your personal items 

  • The first £250,000 of your estate outright as a legacy 

  • Half of the remainder (known as your residuary estate) 

The other half of your residuary estate will be divided equally between your issue on ‘statutory trusts’ for them at 18. If you are married or in a civil partnership without children, your spouse or civil partner will inherit your entire estate if they survive you for 28 days. 

If you are not married and not in a civil partnership, your estate will pass to the following individuals in priority order: 

  • Your children or grandchildren 

  • Your parents 

  • Your siblings of whole blood (or their children) 

  • Any half-siblings or their children 

  • Your grandparents 

  • Your uncles and aunties of whole blood (or their children) 

  • Your uncles and aunties of half-blood, or their children 

  • The Crown

Are all my assets subject to intestacy rules?

Some items are not included in intestacy rules. These include: 

  • Property, such as real estate or bank accounts, owned as a joint tenant - this will pass automatically to the surviving joint owner 

  • A life policy or pension scheme with a nominated beneficiary - this will pass on to a nominated beneficiary 

  • Life interest held under a trust - this will pass in accordance with the trust

How we can help

Intestacy laws have many more complexities in addition to these, which is why it’s important to get the right legal information and support. Our team of expert intestacy solicitors can help advise you on all of these rules, and what they could mean for you; if you decide you want to start planning a Will, our specialists can guide you through this process too.

If you want more information on intestacy rules, planning a Will or any other matter relating to your estate, call Percy Hughes & Roberts Solicitors today on 0151 666 9090. Alternatively, you can fill out an online enquiry form, and we will be in touch at a convenient time for you.

Wills & Probate Resources

If someone with dementia becomes too ill to make informed decisions, you can take on the role of decision-maker by becoming their deputy.
Read Article
If you applied to register a power of attorney from April 1st 2013 to March 31st 2017 you may able to get part of your application fee back.
Read Article
If you are selling a house as an attorney for someone it is important to check which kind of Power of Attorney you have. To act on the sale of a property you have to have been appointed in an EPA or a Property and Financial LPA.
Read Article

Quick Enquiry

Drop us a line and we’ll call you back to see how we can help.


In This Section

Meet Our Team

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

For latest news, views and insights, join our mailing list by entering your details below. We won’t bombard you with emails and only supply you with helpful, relevant information.

Your details are safe with us and we’ll never share them!


Awards & Accreditations

A selection of industry bodies who, accredit, support and endorse PHR Solicitors; including the Law Society, the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and others. We know you want to work with a practice you can trust.